Sunday, August 8, 2010

Changes

First off, I would like to apologize for the absence of my blogging.  I have been pretty busy the last couple of weeks.  I am so happy that I am able to enjoy this summer, I am in a much better place this summer than last summer! 

We finally were able to get the FES Bike up and running after many failed attempts at home.  For all those who don't know, the FES bike is a great way for me to workout.  It improves my cardiovascular, strengthens my muscles, improves circulation and keeps my skin healthy.  Each time that I ride the bike, I usually go about 5.6 miles in 30 minutes and I try to ride the bike as much as I can depending on what I have going on that day.  The bike consists of 12 electrode pads attached to me and they stimulate my leg muscles to push.
(Here is a video of me riding the FES Bike)



Last week one of my best friends turned 21 so I made it a priority to celebrate with him in Uptown.  This was my first time ever going out to Uptown.  Once we got to Uptown, Lindsay and I parked in the parking lot behind Cowboy Slims, we had a couple blocks to get to Williams.  As we passed some bars we noticed that not all of them were accessible, one being "Drink".  I remember thinking to myself, "bastards!"  So then we got to Williams and to my relief it was accessible.  Once more people arrived downtown everyone decided they wanted to go to "Drink".  Once we got to the bar, to my surprise, they had a hidden V.I.P. elevator that we all rode in to get out to the patio.   Ahh the perks of being in a chair!!!  We had a great time.

As of a couple of days ago I took off another piece of my power chair!  I got rid of my head rest.   This enables me to wear backwards hats.  For all those who know me, I live with my hats on backwards.  The next stop for me is to buy more hats :)   On a serious note, without the neck rest my neck and shoulder muscles are used a lot more and it is going to take a short while for the fatigue to go away. 

Here is a recent picture of me in a backwards hat from the front and back.


I'm still considering getting a tattoo and I would like your opinion on what to get.  I have two ideas in mind they are 1)  Never give up on forearm and 2) Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.  But I am open to suggestions.

Thank you very much.  Hope everyone is having a great summer and staying cool on days like today!

5 comments:

  1. If you decide to get one, you should do Never Give Up. The second one is too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bren you look great with your hat on backwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Tattoo? Absolutely yes! Go for it!
    No question in my mind, ,after knowing you for 21 years, it's gotta say Never Give Up!
    It's soooooooo YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, is that you?!?!? Brendan, I love the tabs on top of your blog. And I love that under that xray picture it says "this is not my neck" ha ha. I don't know why i think that is funny, i just do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright Bubba! Lot's of happenings in your life. This is good. Sitting around having a pity party won't do you any good, and it's not your style anyway.

    So you went to Uptown to hang out with the Birkenstock/white socks crowd. Someone needs to enlighten these Bohemians that "Jerusalem Cruisers" Are for just that: Jerusalem.

    Truth be told, I have always wanted to stop into Drink, but I am afraid someone will point and laugh,

    "Who the hell is the K-Mart Tom Selleck over there? Isnt he a little old?"

    As for the saloons not being accessible, hit them where it hurts. In the wallet. And tell your friends to do the same.

    Allow me to weigh in on the tattoo. Get one, I plan on it myself. (If there was ever a reason NOT to get one, there it was) I work with a LOT of guys who have them and they all go to the same place. "The Aloha Monkey" These guys are walking tattoo magazines and from the looks and sounds of things, are really dialed in to where the best shops are.

    As for what to get? This is only MY opinion. Dont get any sayings. None. "Never give up" and "Where there is no struggle, there is no strength" are definitely appropriate in your case, but they seem like a cliche' to me.

    Get something subtle and personal. A symbol of your plan to ditch that chair and walk again. Think it through, something will come to you.

    And before I forget, turn your hat around the bill goes in front. :-)

    ReplyDelete